I just encountered some weird behavior of the windows explorer. I’m used to go to
C:\WINDOS\assembly to poke around my GAC, but today the GAC didn’t look like the GAC at all. There where a bunch of folders instead of a list of assemblies. And there was no context-menu offering to install or deinstall assemblies.
It turned out, that someone must have screwed with my server 🙂 after reseting
0 everything is behaving like it’s supposed to.
It’s always handy to keep a logfile around – you never know when you wanna need one! So just in case … you should keep a spare!
I was just so pissed of by my dev-machine, because it ran out of disk-space – and then it hit me! There was this one app, it’s not even written by myself (which makes it even worse) and it’s write two logfiles (this doesn’t makes sense to me in the first place). One xml and one text based. But also for a released software to be shipped with a log level of debug and the (and this by far the most serious issue): log4net is set to
<appendToFile value="true" />. Ok you might have spot it: after two weeks of usae the logfile was consuming 3,5 GB of disk-space!!
Recently WSPBuilder caught my attention, and I started to play a little with the command-line tool. WSPBuilder dramatically eases the creation of WSP-Files to deploy SharePoint solutions.
But even more interesting would be an integration into Visual Studio – and since I’m not the first one to recognize this need there is already an addin.
Unfortunately the menu-extension is not visible on my german installation of Windows (and Visual Studio). So there is some manual work needed:
- copy the
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins to
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins.
- startup Visual Studio and make sure the addin is being started by checking the appropriate check-box.
For a pure dev-machine I only have the MS-SQL express edition installed, which is being distributed along with the current Visual Studio release.
Doing also some DBA stuff, I soon figured that I need to have the real management-console (Management Studio) as well. So I tried to install just Management Studio from the “real” SQL Server. This turned out to be quite difficult (with SQL 2008 this turned out to be no burden at all anymore).
So after doing a tremendous amount of tweaking I finally got everything working alright – until the SP2 for SQL 2005 was shipping.
Trying to install the SP2 was a bigger problem than I expected. The update for the Express Edition complained about the installed Management Studio, which created a version mismatch and the standard edition of SQL Server complaint about the mismatching database engine from the express edition.
Fortunately SP3 does a way better job. Just install both updates (for the standard edition and the express edition) and you’re all set. The last issue was an abort during the express edition update. This was somehow the sample issue, which stopped the KB 948109 update from installing. So opening up the registry and going to the key
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup (respectively
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2005\Setup) and deleting the settings
SQLgroup solved this issue.